Review: One of the world’s most expensive foundations: La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation. But it is worth the price tag?
I have more foundations than I have any other beauty product…which probably isn’t the best thing but there’s something about foundations that I’m addicted to. Maybe because I haven’t found my ultimate holy grail foundation yet. This makes me want to buy more in hopes that I will find it. So when I saw the new La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer foundation at a crazy £162 price tag, I was intrigued.
What Is the La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation?
What Are the Key Ingredients in the La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation?
- Ultraviolet absorbers that contain Vitamin E to help neutralise free radicals that can potentially damage your skin in the long term
- Moisturising properties of glycerin, petroleum and dimethicone
- The essential firming properties found in Caviar Extract, Algae, Seaweed proteins, Malt extract and La Prairie’s exclusive cellular complex that helps to nourish and energise your skin, with the added anti-ageing benefits.
The La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation Shade Range
The Skin Caviar Concealer foundation comes in a total of twelve different shades from those with a fairer skin tone to ones of mid-tone chestnut.
- Tender Ivory: This is the lightest shade in the range. It’s a yellow beige colour that would be perfect for those that are NC10-15
- Soft Ivory: This is a fair neutral to a rosy beige shade, suitable for those that are NW10-15
- Warm Linen: This is a light beige shade with warmer golden undertones, suitable for those that are NC20
- Creme Peche: This is a light beige shade with more peachy undertones, suitable for those that are NW20
- Peche: A light to medium beige shade with peach coloured undertones, suitable for N/NW/NC 20-25
- Warm Beige: A light to medium beige with golden undertones, suitable for N/NC23
- Honey Beige: A medium beige with neutral to golden undertones, suitable for N/NC 25-27
- Soleil Peche: A medium beige shade with neutral to rosy undertones, suitable for N/NW 25-27
- Mocha: A medium to dark beige shade with neutral undertones, suitable for N/NW/NC 30-35
- Soleil Beige: A medium beige shade with a peached tan undertone, suitable for N/NW/NC40
- Caramel Beige: A medium to medium dark beige with neutral undertones, suitable for N/NW/NC 30
- Amber Beige: This is the darkest shade in the range. This is a dark beige with neutral undertones, great for those that are NW/NC45
For the price that I paid for this foundation, it’s not bad but I’ve seen better. For example, with the Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat foundation, it feels incredibly luxurious and a foundation that I would pull out for special occasions. I just didn’t get that feeling with the La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation. It felt a little more than high street but a little less than a luxury. I wasn’t necessarily disappointed with the packaging but in all honesty, I didn’t have an opinion. For the price I paid I guess I wanted to enjoy it a little more than I do.
It looks great once applied but that’s where I was deceived. I loved how it looked when I first applied it in store but after hours, everything seemed to change. I would apply this foundation in the morning around 8 am, and every day without fail, my foundation seemed to crack by midday. Personally, my skin’ a little on the dry side. The La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation highlighted every imperfection and that beautiful dew that I had in the morning disappeared. The formula didn’t necessarily dry out my skin but what sank into my skin in the morning seemed to sit on top of my skin by afternoon.
The spatula made the application process of this product a whole lot easier. I was able to apply this foundation quicker than most products and be out the door in no time at all. The formula is incredibly creamy and easily blendable which I what loved. You wouldn’t need more than one layer to build on as one layer is pretty full coverage already.
Who Are La Prairie?
Is the La Prairie Skin Caviar Foundation Worth the Price Tag?
Now don’t get me wrong, it’s a pretty hefty price tag but the La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation will last you a long time due to its creamy consistency so a little goes a long way. If this was truly a phenomenal product, I would raise my hand and say with guilt that I would spend that kind of money on a foundation. But let me reiterate, that’s IF this was a phenomenal product. Truthfully, for me, this product is not even close to being that. It’s not a bad product. I know that I’m going to enjoy using up the rest of the bottle but is it something I would repurchase? That’s a no and I’m pretty firm on my answer there.
If you have dry skin, I would stay away from this product. Nonetheless, if your skin leans more towards the combination, oilier side, you may enjoy the Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation more than I did. However, I would suggest getting a sample before you do anything hasty like myself. I wanted to love this product after hearing all the key ingredients and the things that it could do for my skin. The price tag defines all the work that went into this formula but having all of these ingredients to benefit your skin doesn’t mean that it will for everyone. We’re all different and unfortunately for me, it just didn’t work.
Let me know what you think about the La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer foundation in the comments below!
Some aspects of this post may have been sent to me for review. However, all opinions expressed are my own. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation Review
Product Name: La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation
Product Description: This is a two-in-one-product that holds both a liquid foundation in the bottle and a creamy concealer in it's cap. The foundation is an extremely pigmented formula with a mousse-like texture. The formula possesses an advanced silicone technology which utilises the science and treatment combined with the pigments to form a silky age-altering foundation, helping to promote a smooth and radiant complexion. The La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation encapsulates a high powered concentration of caviar extracts, moisturising liposomes, UVA/UVB sunscreens, anti-oxidant,s optical diffusers and long-wearing pigments that help to firm the face, transform the texture and give your appearance an overall healthy glow.
In all honesty, I really wanted to love this product. Or at least even be able to justify spending £162.00 on a foundation but disappointingly, I wasn’t able to tick either of those boxes. I’ve seen a lot of reviews flying around and some people love it, some people find it ‘okay’. That’s the category I fall into. But I think everyone would agree with me when I say that it’s not for everyone. I know that I’m going to enjoy using up the rest of the bottle but is it something I would repurchase? That’s a no and I’m pretty firm on my answer there.
If you have dry skin, I would stay away from this product. Nonetheless, if your skin leans more towards the combination, oilier side, you may enjoy the Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation more than I did. However I would suggest getting a sample before you do anything hasty like myself. I really wanted to love this product after hearing all the key ingredients and the things that it could do for my skin. The price tag definitely defines all the work that went into this formula but having all of these ingredients to benefit your skin doesn’t mean that it will for everyone. We’re all different and unfortunately for me, it just didn’t work.
- Good colour range
- Easily blendable
- Doesn’t look great on dry skin
- Heavy price tag
- Product melts pretty quickly on your face after a couple of hours